The cold days of winter make me feel sick; I wonder what happens to those little creatures that I own.
I am talking about my fish.
I really don’t have to worry.
As I keep myself warm, I do the same for my fish.
Warm and comfortable.
I thank aquarium heaters for that.
You can easily purchase an excellent heater for your aquarium.
In this article, I have listed 7 of the best mini heaters for small aquariums.
Topics we will cover today...
7 Best Mini Heaters for Small Aquariums
|Products||Quality||Watt Requirement for Small Aquariums|
|Marina Compact Heater||Fully submersible||10 watt|
|Hydor Submersible Glass Aquarium Heater - Original Theo||Fully submersible||25 Watt|
|Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater||Fully submersible||50 Watt|
|Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Aquarium Heate||Fully submersible||25 Watt|
|Cobalt Aquatics 31020 5W Mini-Therm Heater||Fully submersible||5 Watt|
|Fluval Edge Compact Aquarium Heater||Fully submersible||25 Watt|
|Hydor 15W MINI HEATER for Bettas and Aquariums||Fully submersible||5 Watt|
Types of Heaters
Following are several types of heaters
- Submersible heaters
- Immersible heaters
- Substrate heaters
- Filter heaters
How to Choose the Appropriate Heater for Your Aquarium?
Choosing the appropriate heater for your fish tank is important.
Size is essential.
First of all:
Using a large heater to warm your small tank quickly, can cause havoc in your fish tank.
So, before making any decisions, do consider the size of your tank first, then decide upon which heater you want.
With that choose a heater which distributes the heat evenly.
Smaller tanks require a higher Watt heater as compared to larger fish tanks.
The larger the tank, the slower it releases heat.
The smaller the tank, the more quickly it will lose heat.
Mini Heater Detailed Product Description
1. Marina Compact Heater
- Marina compact heater is manufactured in a way that it does not break easily.
- A light is on when the heater is running.
- It is Affordable
- Easy to use
- Sometimes marina compact heater stops working without any apparent reason
- The heater, sometimes, switches off even when the desired temperature is not obtained which is 78º F or 26º C.
- You can’t adjust the temperature
2. Hydor Submersible Glass Aquarium Heater – Original
- Good for the very cold houses
- The heater is small enough to fit in the small tank
- The temperature on the dial is clearly written
- Some people complain that temperature sometimes rises above the desired temperature.
3. Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater With Electronic Thermostat, Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Aquarium Heater
- Small enough to adjust behind the decorations
- If you keep tropical fish, then tetra HT heater is good because it maintains a temperature of 78°F
- Sometimes the lights do not function properly
- You can’t adjust the temperature
- Doesn’t work well if you don’t cover the tank
4. Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Aquarium Heater
- Easy to use
- Displays set and tank temperature
- Temperature can be adjusted
- Suctions cups might stop sticking after sometime
5. Cobalt Aquatics 31020 5W Mini-Therm Heater
- Can also be used in 1.5-gallon tank
- No risk of overheating
- Reports of underheating
6. Fluval Edge Compact Aquarium Heater
- Does not break easily
- Temperature cannot be adjusted
- It’s reported that the heater does not raise the temperature properly
7. Hydor 15W MINI HEATER for Bettas and Aquariums, 5-10 gal
- Heater won’t be damaged if it’s running dry
- Great for tropical fish tanks
- Works well in all water types
- You cannot adjust the temperature
How Important is a Thermometer for Your Tank?
I know people who check the water temperature by simply putting a finger inside the aquarium
DON’T DO THAT…
Whether you keep pet fish as a hobby or as a business, you have to work like a professional.
Even though heaters today are designed to reach the desired temperature, but they can sometimes under heat or overheat your aquarium.
So having a good thermometer is important to keep your fish safe and to prevent them from taking a trip to fishy heaven.
So I am going to recommend you to check the temperature of your aquarium daily because you never know, even the best heater can ditch you at any moment.
If you are still using year’s old thermometer, then change it.
Yes, change it today.
Heaters and Fish
Most of the heaters in the market today adjust the temperature of your aquarium automatically, and you do not have to adjust them manually.
So the only thing you need to worry about is whether the temperature your heater is maintaining is appropriate for your fish.
Let me explain this to you:
If the preset temperature of your fish tank is 78°F, see if it’s suitable for all your fish.
Where Should I Place the Heater?
One of the most commonly asked question.
You can place the heater near the filter inlet.
For the best result:
Install your heater horizontally.
Installing the heater vertically would also be fine
What Will Happen To Fish If They Come In Contact With The Heater?
Yes, nothing will happen to your fish.
Your fish will be just fine.
The heaters are designed in such a way, that makes them safe for the fish.
If the tank gets too hot, your fish will eventually die to the drastic rise in temperature.
And secondly, go for a heater which does not break easily because if the heater breaks, you will surely lose your little swimmers.
Effects of the Temperature Outside the Aquarium
We all know that the temperature around the tank also affects the temperature of your aquarium.
So if you are not achieving the desired temperature of the fish tank even after placement of the heater, do not start cursing the heater directly.
First of all, check the temperature with a GOOD thermometer.
Then check the temperature of the place where the aquarium is placed.
If it’s placed in a very cold place, then you will need two heaters.
Is an Aquarium Heater Necessary?
Another great question.
So I thought I should it for those who still don’t know why it is even necessary to place the heater in the fish tank.
Why do fish die because of the cold temperature?
We humans don’t die that easily.
So here you go..
JUST TO LET YOU KNOW IF YOU ARE BEGINNER:
NOT ALL THE FISH NEED WARM TEMPERATURE TO SURVIVE
At the end take care of yourself too while taking care of the fish you own.
Do not take out the heater directly after unplugging it. Let it be cool first then take it out. Many fish lovers do burn their hands because of the careless behavior
Secondly, after installing your heater in the aquarium, plug it after a few minutes.
Which species of fish are compatible with goldfish? Rosy barbs are one of the fish that get along well with goldfish. Loaches are suitable too because they can also survive in cool water. Goldfish are also recommended to be kept in pairs.
Do fish tanks help relieve stress? Watching the fish swimming in a well-decorated tank indeed reduces stress.
What decorations are toxic for fish tanks? There are some of the decorations which when placed in the aquarium can be harmful to you fish like plastic toys, beach sand, or any sharp decorations.